ARTHUR AND ROSE WARBY
Arthur Warby was born on 15th September 1927 to parents Arthur and Florrie Warby. He was raised in the West Midland in England. Art married June Rose Edmead (Rose) on 5th March 1949 at St Marks Church in Pensnett. The bride's car was a Rolls Royce and was provided by Jack Walker the husband of Art's sister Margaret Warby (Peggy). As the bride and groom left the church they were greeted by a snow storm. The wedding reception was held in the front room of Arthur's mothers house in Chapel Street just a short ride from the church. They did not have a honeymoon and the following day Art went back to work. Rose left her employment at the 'Scrim' (bandage making company) to become a full time housewife at the request of Art.
Mr and Mrs A. Warby on the steps of St Marks Church, Pensnett
Rose and her siblings had been evacuated during the London Blitz as her birth place in Stepney had been bombed and was in ruin. 80-100 children were evacuated from Stepney and arrived at Windsor Great Park. They were transported by double-decker bus or by lorry. For a few years Rose was billeted with the gamekeeper and his wife, Mr and Mrs Doe, at Windsor Great Park. Here she attended the same school as the 'Royal' children, but at separate times. The Royal School, est.1845 by Queen Victoria for children of the Estate, could not handle all the children so the Estate Park children were taught in the morning and the evacuees in the afternoon by their own teacher. A few months later many of the children had returned to London and the remaining evacuee and park children were taught together. In 1941 Rose and her sister, Ivy (7th from left in the front row of the photograph of the Pantomime below), were in a Christmas Pantomime with Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret called 'Cinderella'. Rose stayed at Windsor for a number of years with the Doe family.
Rose attended the Royal School for the children of the estate of Windsor Great Park
Rose Warby (5th from left in front row) Performing in the Windsor Castle Pantomime in 1941 with Princess's Elizabeth and Margaret
Whilst visiting South Australia to watch the 'Cricket' I happened to use some spare time to wonder into a second hand book store in Rundle Mall and whilst flicking through the pages of the second book I had picked up I found this book contained a copy of the picture above on the photograph pages. The book is called 'ELIZABETH & PHILIP The Untold Story' ..... by Charles Higham and Roy Moseley.
The houses in Grosvenor Road, up The Graveyard, had been declared derelict prior to the War but were reopened to house London's displaced families. Rose's parents were placed in one of the homes in Grosvenor Road. The children returned to live with their parents after being separated for several years. The adjustment must have come hard for Rose as she had been billeted in a home that was surrounded by excess and returned to a home that only months before had been declared unfit to live in. She had entered a life that was ruled by rationing. Arthur and Rose spent the first month of married life living with Art's mother in Chapel Street until an opportunity came along for them to get a place of their own. This opportunity presented when Rose's sister, Elsie, decided to move back to London. Art and Rose moved into her house which was also in Grosvenor Road not far from her mothers house. Although not a salubrious house it offered Arthur and Rose a home to call their own. Their first two children were born whilst they were living in this house. The first born, Anthony Warby was born at home in 1950 and the second child, Brian, was born at the Rosemary Ednam Maternity Unit in Dudley. The condition of the houses had become worse than ever and the neighbors had all moved out. Art and Rose were the last couple left to move out.
Grosvenor Road was known as Graveyard Road on the 1901 map of Gornal. This area was said to be the burial ground for the Quakers. Another explanation for the name is that the area lay just outside the old Dudley boundaries and during the Great Plague the rule was that the dead bodies had to be taken out of town limits. A 1932 Church pamphlet states that "the district known as The Graveyard is said to have been a burying place for the inhabitants at the end of the parish who declined to use the churchyard at Sedgley because it was too far away". The true reason for the name may remain a mystery but for Art, Rose and all the other locals this area is still known as The Graveyard.
33 Grosvenor Road once owned by (daughter) Sheila Rock
In 1952 Art and Rose moved to 71 Boundary Hill. Rose's mother insisted the house be decorated in dark brown and cream paintwork in keeping with the picture rails and gas mantle lights. This was a council owned home and many years later a huge modernization campaign saw new windows installed, a downstairs toilet was built on (as can bee seen in the photograph below. On the right side of the house note the new brick work), a front porch was added and a new heating system was installed. The new heating must have been a very welcome addition to the home. Winters could be bitterly cold and harsh. At times is was so cold that the oldest children can recall times when they had icicles hanging from internal pipes in their bedrooms. Art and Rose had a further four children whilst living at Boundary Hill. This house continued to be the Warby home for 50 years until recently when ill health made it impossible for Art to return from hospital, after a stroke, to a house with stairs. A smaller single story council house was obtained in Church Street in Gornal Wood. The children gathered around and together packed 50 years of memories and moved their parents to their new home. For Rose, Art and their six children 71 Boundary Hill will always be known as 'home'. The stories of "remember when....'" will always take them back to Boundary Hill.
71 Boundary Hill, Lower Gornal (after renovations)
Boundary Hill in Lower Gornal
Art was a hard working man who continued to work seven days a week for the greater part of his working life. Life did not settle down for many years after World War 11 had ended. The issue of the Ration Books was implemented to the general public on 8th September and started in use on the 8th January 1940. This was 10 years before Art and Rose's first child ,Tony, was born in 1950 but he can recall shopping being done with the use of ration coupons (stamps). The books were issued to each person and contained tokens which could be saved up and used at the owner's discretion. The shopkeeper would remove the tokens from the book before he issued the goods. At first rations consisted of; 4ozs of butter or lard. 12 ozs of sugar. 4 ozs of raw bacon or ham. 2 eggs. 3.5 ozs of cooked bacon or ham. As the war continued these rations were cut in size. Jam, biscuits and meat were rationed on 11th March 1940. Food shortages caused long queues and bread became in short supply. When the word went around, as it does in village communities, that a fresh supply was due at a particular shop, the women would form a long queue outside for hours waiting to get a loaf of bread. Many shops only had enough food to last for one or two days and shops shut their doors for the remainder of the week until fresh supplies arrived. In June 1941 Clothing was also rationed and coupons were needed to purchase new clothing. People were only allowed to buy one new outfit a year. At first these clothing coupons totaled 48 points until this was cut to 36. Then followed a further cut to 20. A new coat cost 18 points so this caused further hardship to many families. 'Scruffy' children abounded and clothes were repaired and darned many times over to make them last alittle longer. Patches were used to mend worn elbows in sleeves and this became quite fashionable. The National Milk Scheme provided one pint of milk for every child under the age of five. Expectant mothers and young children were entitled to free milk if the combined income of parents was less than 40 shillings a week. The food rationing system did provided the people with a more balanced diet than they were used to and as a result the health of the nation improved during this period. On the 19th May 1950 (Tony was four months old) rationing ended for canned food, dried fruit, chocolate, treacle, syrup, jellies and mincemeat. Petrol rationing that started in 1939 ended in 1950. Soap rationing ended in May 1953 followed by butter rationing ending in May 1953. The official end to all rationing took place on 4th July 1954.
The Warby household was no different than the many others of this time. Money was very tight even though Art was working seven days a week. Fresh meat was often a Hare caught in nearby woods and fields. Art was able to continue having his daily pint of beer at the local pub by playing the piano. Most pubs had a piano but the younger generations have replaced this custom with bands and karaoke and piano's are rarely seen in bars today. A hat was past around and Art was able to afford his pint. The outing to the pub also offered Art the chance to come by some 'wom fed bercon' which was a welcome treat at home. In Art and Rose's early years together a holiday was non existent and a day trip was always a very special family occasion. Seaside outings were organized by a next door neighbor, Mrs Middleton, and a bus collected the family from 71 Boundary Hill and transported them to the seaside for the day. The first family holiday was to Bewdley and was spent in a quaint caravan. It would have been impossible for Art and Rose to imagine, during these early years, that one day they would take two trips (one for three months) to Australia to visit their son, Tony, who had immigrated to Australia in 1972. Art had been made redundant and his son Brian told his father that if he did not use the redundancy money to take the much earned holiday, that he thought his father and mother deserved, that he would only spend it when they was dead anyway. Art and Rose traveled overseas for the first time in their lives and experience life outside of Gornal.
Rose (mother) with Tony at Betws-y-Coed (abt.1951)
Arthur started employment at the Baggeridge Brick Company situated at Gospel End, Sedgley on 30th July 1951. His duties included Maintenance and Machine Shop work. Baggeridge has been producing solid, non-perforated, wire cut, stock facing and engineering bricks at its factory at Sedgley, near Wolverhampton, since the 1930's. The first Kiln, a Super Staffordshire continuous kiln, was built in 1956. At this time pressed common bricks were produced from Etruria marl, obtained from a nearby quarry, and colliery shale (a waste product from the nearby colliery). The shale was delivered via mechanical rope-way from the adjacent pit. In 1968 the colliery closed and clay was obtained from a clay pit at Himley some one and a half miles from the works. As colliery shale was no longer used to make the bricks they had to be fired at 1150 degrees Celsius. Tis resulted in products of much better quality and were known as engineering bricks. The original Staffordshire Kiln was taken out of work in 1975. It was replaced by two specially designed intermittent kilns which, by 1978, had been joined by six more and the remaining two 'old' Staffordshire Kilns were demolished. This brought about a re-structuring of the company. In 1977 Arthur had become a member of the '25 Year Club' and was very proud of his 25 years loyal service to Baggeridge. This club was reserved for employees who had served 25 years or more at the company and the annual diners are/were hosted by Lord Dudley. On 24th December 1977 Arthur and many others were made redundant, due to this re-structuring. Five weeks later on the 30th January 1978 he started employment for Steetley Refractories Ltd at the Dibdale Plant but on 16th March 1979 he and others were, once again, made redundant.
Baggeridge Brick at Gospel End, Sedgley
Arthur ... coming home from work ... Donkey Jacket and 'snap' bag
June Rose Warby nee Edmead died in August 2006 and her ashes were scattered in Great Windsor Park on the 26th Novemeber 2006 and some scattered in Bed 29 in the Summer Garden at Gornal Crematorium on the 27th Novemeber 2006 at 2.45 pm.
ARTHUR AND ROSE WARBY FAMILY TREE
ARTHUR WARBY married JUNE ROSE EDMEAD
a) ANTHONY ARTHUR WARBY (Tony) (1950- ) married 1) LYNNE FRANKS
married 2) JOANNE CLAIRE HOOPER
b) BRIAN WARBY (1951- ) married MARILYN LOVETT
c) LIVING DAUGHTER (1954- ) married LIVING
d) KEVIN TERRANCE WARBY (1961- ) married RUTH PICKERILL
e) SHEILA DIANE WARBY (1963- ) married DAREN ROCK
f) TREVOR ROBERT WARBY (1966- ) married WENDY WARD
(Left and right) Arthur and Rose Warby (with children left to right) Gill, Anthony (Tony), Trevor, Brian, Sheila, Kevin
June Rose Warby nee Edmead (Rose) died at home on the 8th August 2006 with her husband and children at her side. Her heart held memories of her times spent at Windsor and of her life with her husband and family in Gornal and thus it was decided that part of her should remain forever in both of these places. Her ashes were scattered in Great Windsor Park on the 26th Novemeber 2006 and also in Bed 29 (her birthday 29th) in the Summer Garden at Gornal Crematorium. A Peace Rose (picture above) will be planted and a plaque will commerate 'Our Rose'.